Sunday, April 6, 2014

File Under: The Decline of Western Civilization


Today we reached a new low in America. The word "twerk" is an answer in the New York Time Sunday Crossword Puzzle, which is considered by most to be the nation's finest crossword puzzle. The NY Times crossword is edited by Will Shortz, America's preeminent puzzle expert. In my opinion Mr. Shortz fell short on his duties with this particular edition of the puzzle. After I filled in the answer to the clue "back it up, in a way," I instantly felt dirty and had to go take a shower! And it's not my showering day!

You've put us on a dangerously slippery slope, Mr. Shortz! First it's "twerk," next it'll be what? "Bootylicious?" I'm just glad this puzzle is of no interest to most children of an impressionable age! The word "twerk" just achieved legitimacy in the English lexicon, and it won't stop there. Before long there will be a required twerking unit in elementary school P.E. classes, and they'll be teaching "Twerking to the Oldies" down at the senior center. There goes the morality of our nation's most innocent and vulnerable citizens! I hope you are happy now, Mr. Shortz.

3 comments:

  1. I'm boycotting the crossword puzzle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I filled in those blanks with THOSE letters, I threw down my pen in disgust and angrily flounced out of the room! I have not revisited that wing of our estate so I don't know what the servants have done with the semi-completed puzzle. I'll wait until the one-star Monster Sudoku's reappears in 5 weeks, and then I might be willing to take it up again. Maybe.

      Delete
    2. Oh my! I got myself so upset there I got a touch of the vapors! I don't know what I was thinking. I haven't had domestic servants in at least two lifetimes, maybe three if you include that short one. Do forgive me!

      Delete