Monday, March 24, 2014

"Westworld" Just Got Closer to Becoming Reality




Here is an incredible robot, I mean, animatronic sculpture created by the artist Jordan Wolfson, currently on exhibit at David Zwirner gallery in New York City. I am profoundly impressed, no, make that BLOWN AWAY, by how realistic this robot moves. The hands alone are going to haunt my nightmares for years to come.
Why can't I just enjoy the technical wonder and appreciate the possibilities of robotics? You see, I saw the movie "Westworld" when I was about 6 or 7, and it scarred me for life. Seriously, who the hell was taking care of me back then? I saw some hella scary movies before I passed second grade, like "Arnold," for one. Yul Brynner's performance in "Westworld" was so convincing to me as a child that my whole conceptualization of robots has been tainted with horror ever since.
This butterfaced robot appears to be modeled after Lady Gaga, and that makes it extra creepy! As I was watching the video of this machine gyrate and gesticulate so expressively I imagined a show in which a whole army of these things served as backup dancers for the real Gaga. Forget Hologram Tupac, Robot Gaga has just upped the ante on this game. Shit is getting turned up for real!

Via Dlisted

No comments:

Post a Comment